Sunday, June 26, 2011

The Yuckiest Recipe

This ridiculously yucky thing called a papaya leaf extract is kind of saving my life so I thought I should post how to make it as a lot of people were asking me about it :) For those who don't know what it does.. it stops your platelet count to drastically go down. So, here goes..

First you need two really big, fresh papaya leaves. I put a teaspoon in the middle of one just to let you see how big it is.






One leaf should be big enough to give you a full tablespoon of extract. The doze is two tablespoon fulls a day. If the leaves are smaller you should take more than two.

You only want the leafy part. No stem or sap. The sap is very milky and when you break the stem away it will ooze out. You should wash it away. I'm not sure why because all it really contains is papain but that's what I have been told. You can decide for yourself though. [Or you can research :)] This is what the sap looks like:



Once you have the stem removed



you should wash them thoroughly. I prefer to partly break it upbefore I wash. It makes the job easier :)



Now you need a mortar and pestle.



Break up the leaves further. Leave out the fatter stemmy parts. Put them in the mortar and pestle and pound them to a mush.




Take a bowl and put a clean cotton fabric piece on it. Put the mush in the bowl over the cloth.



Now gather the cloth and squeeze the mush so that the extract comes out into the bowl. I didn't have help so I was taking the pictures myself so I couldn't take a picture while squeezing, but this is what the cloth with the mush looked like after I had squeezed out the extract:



And this is what the extract looks like:



That's it! The yuckiest recipe ready to drink! Oh, and it works great with vitamin C :) If you have low platelets you also want to take a lot of calcium :) Happy platelet growing!

No comments:

Post a Comment